Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Tipple Tuesday: Birthdays!

This week, I'm celebrating theatre birthdays! March 10: Jasmine Guy. March 11: Dorothy Gish and John Barrowman (Captain Jack!). March 12: Edward Albee. March 13: William H Macy. March 14: ME!

I love birthdays, especially birthday food. Our little family tradition, going back ten whole years, is that the celebrant gets to ask his/her partner to cook whatever s/he wants. I almost always ask Jake to make me three-cheese polenta, and it's usually accompanied by some sort of lamb something. Last year, Jake switched his choice from his usual request of mini-gyros with yogurt sauce (I'd made it five years in a row), but he still had chocolate ganache cupcakes.

Tonight, The Kid told me that he and Jake are going to make me a cake, which I'm super-excited about. I can't wait to see what comes out of the oven! Is it wrong that I kind of want to ask for Rainbow Brite decorations? (Is that a unanimous yes?)

I'm turning 34, so no fanfare. But! I thought I'd take the opportunity to make myself a decadent but un-fancy cocktail. So I mixed up a concoction I'm calling an Amaretto Phosphate. You should have one this week to celebrate. And if that includes celebrating me, I'm not going to argue with you!



Amaretto Phosphate

Ingredients
Amaretto (I made mine using Shutterbean's recipe, and it is fab)
Vanilla ice cream (I used Haagen-Dasz)
Cold soda water

Makes one drink

Put two ounces Amaretto in a tall drinking glass (or a highball glass if you have one). Add two scoops Vanilla ice cream. Top with soda water until the glass is full and foam just goes over the edge of the glass. Enjoy!

(Since I'm doing the birthday-week-thing, I enjoyed mine with a brownie The Kid and I made on Friday. It was made with whole wheat flour, so it was, like, totally good for me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment